A recurring theme on "milliondollarway" is that there are "no" dry holes in the Bakken. (A lot of folks did not understand the reason for the quotes around 'no.')
A few weeks ago someone called me on that: she noticed there actually was a dry hole in the Bakken. She chided me for continually blogging there were no dry holes in the Bakken when, in fact, there are.
I checked the well file: it was permit/file #20066. This is what I wrote :
- 20066, DRY, XTO, Nelson State 24X-33, Indian Hill, Bakken; go the link; this well was plagued from the beginning;
And they did come back. And they came back with a vengeance. A great well. My hat is off to all folks. Good job.
- 20971, 1,087, XTO, Nelsen State 24X-33R , Indian Hill, Bakken, 24 stages; 2.8 sand, [update: unfortunately this well is not playing out so well; being choked back? only 2,000 bbls/month in its fourth month; t9/11; cum 63K 12/12;
Again, this is not an investment site. See the disclaimer at the top of the sidebar at the right. Make no decisions based on what you read at this blog. If something looks wrong, it probably is. Check fact with the ultra-reliable wiki site.
On another note: Indian Hill is in the Bull's Eye of the Bakken, and this is where the Bakken activity is headed this summer.
Indian Hill is the name of an oil field in the Bakken. It is also a geographical location: a large, "sprawling" butte south of the river, from where you have a great view of Williston. As noted earlier, Schlumberger, Baker Hughes, Cudd, Hexom, Cal-Frac, Stateline, and 55 of their closest friends are phenomenally well-positioned for this activity, just five or six miles south.
It will be interesting if there is talk of a new, widened bridge across the wide Missouri south of the four-mile corner.
************************Some old legacy wells on Indian Hill. Some of these wells are 30 years old. These are all still producing, all vertical wells; mostly Madison; note the nice Duperow well:
- 10088, 173/TA; SM Energy/Gulf,Eckert 2-6, Madison, s8/83; t9/83; cum 208K, 1/12;
- 10335, 157/915; Citation/Cotton, Edna Devitt 1-29, Duperow and Stonewall, s9/83; cum 300K and 191K 12/12;
- 10645, 341, Denbury/Superior, Greenard 1, Madison; s1/84; cum 211K 12/12;
- 10855, 120; Denbury/Superior, Fossum 14 1, Madison; s7/84; cum 452K 12/12;
- 11140, 503, Citation/Cotton, Edna Devitt 2-23, Madison; s9/84; cum 260K 12/12;
- 11261, 112, Citation/Cotton, Nelsen 2-32, Madison; s11/84; cum 206K 12/12;
- 11345, 243, SM Energy/Superior, Fredrickson 33-33 1; Madison; s1/85; cum 147K 12/12;
- 11475, 194, XTO/Columbia, Elk 28-3; Madison; cum 208K 12/12;
- 11575, 94/IA, SM Energy/Texaco, State of North Dakota F 2; Madison; cum 148K 12/12
- 12910, 239, XTO/Columbia,Elk 28-4, Duperow, s7/90; cum 436K 12/12;