PermitsIssued in 2012
Squaw Creek Oil Field
Squaw Creek is another one of those typically small fields in the Williston Basin. It is composed of about 31 sections, not even a full township (as of December 30, 2010). For the most part, Squaw Creek field is T149-R94. It is on the west / south side of the river and not too far west of the very prolific Van Hook field in the reservation. Squaw Creek, itself, is a westernmost field in the reservation. Another field of interest is the Spotted Horn, just north of Squaw Creek, and also just as small (just one township, T150-R94), and also inside the reservation. The Mandaree field is east of Squaw Creek.
As of December 30, 2010, this is the status of activity in Squaw Creek (some IPs updated 4/12):
- 20033, 144, WPX, Rubia 16-24H, t11/11; cum 54K 4/12;
- 20711, 341, WPX, Lucy Lone Fight 16-22H, t9/11; cum 36K 4/12;
- 18411, 977, EOG, Mandaree 10-05H, t10/10; cum 80K 4/12;
- 19426: 1,207, 320-acre spacing; EOG, Mandaree 9-04H, t3/11; cum 66K 4/12;
- 18464: 1,424, EOG, Mandaree 1-10H, t9/10; cum 101K 4/12;
- 18927: 815, EOG, Mandaree 2-09H, t98/10; cum 88K 4/12;
- 19004: 1,440, EOG, Mandaree 12-07H, t11/10; cum 87K 4/12;
- 18594: 105, EOG, Mandaree 7-17H, t9/10; cum 84K 4/12;
- 18774: 526, EOG, Mandaree 5-16H, t10/10; cum 81K 4/12;
- 15689: 47, vertical well, Madison, s12/04; t5/05; AL; cum 44K 4/12;
- 18697: 927, short lateral, EOG, Mandaree 4-15H, t8/10; cum 135K 4/12;
- 19881: conf, Peak, Hall 23-21H
- 18832: conf Encore, Fettig 31-21H
- 18908: 1,565, 320-acre spacing; EOG, Mandaree 6-20H, t9/10; cum 97K 4/12;
- 19973: 141, WPX/Zenergy, Wolf 27-34H, Wolf 27-34H, t7/11; cum 71K 4/12;
- 18766: 1,392, 320-acre spacing; Denbury/Encore, Fettig 24-22H, t11/10; cum 37K 4/12;
- 20238, 180, WPX/Zenergy, Spotted Horn 26-35H, 26-149-94, t1/12; cum 39K 4/12;
Original Blog Entry
In the September NDIC docket, EOG requested multiple wells on 320-acre spacing in Squaw Creek oil field.
Maybe I'm just inappropriately exuberant, but I find "multiple wells on a 320-acre spacing" interesting, fascinating, and a bit nebulous, as in "inexact." It's been my experience EOG holds its cards very close to the chest, whereas CLR would have come right out and said, "x number of wells on each 320-acre unit." Idle chatter.
I can't wait to see how this plays out. This is near the best of the Bakken, and "they" say the EUR of a Bakken well is 700,000 bbls of oil, +/- a few hundred thousand.
Squaw Creek is a small oil field, comprising most of one township, T149N-R94W. It is only 23 sections in size. It is located on the west side of the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation, south of Spotted Hawk oil field (also a very interesting play) and west of the Mandaree oil field.
I have to go back and check, but I believe this area is not too far away from the Arrow Pipeline initiative. Currently there are two rigs on site in this very little oil field, one well nearing completion, and several wells still on the confidential list.
Interestingly enough, there are a few sections with 320-acre spacing in this oil field, and the rest is split evenly between 640-acre and 1280-acre spacing.